Words and Philosophy
* Downtown Grocery presents links to a variety of artisans, businesses, and organizations:
- Cheese --- Anne and Wayne shared their thoughts about cheese:
"Eating a little chunk of SarVecchio Parmesan Cheese Extra-aged...
...is satisfying like eating a chunk of fine chocolate!"
- Cookies --- Gianna and Matt wrote a haiku about Egg & Bunny Cookies:
Pink pastel egg shells
Hiding in the new green grass
Waiting to be found
- Economics --- Kevin Korpela said this about economics, farmers and local-focused grocery stores:
"Buying food from stores that emphasize local food, such as Downtown Grocery...
...places 66 cents of every food dollar back into the pockets of local farmers!"
- Farming --- Kevin Korpela said this statement about farmers:
"Hey, by the way, farmer's rule!"
- Fruit Cake --- A customer said this about our fruit cake:
"This is a wonderful fruit cake and you can cut it with a butter knife!"
- Grass-fed Beef --- Randy likes the taste and cost-advantages of eating grass-fed beef:
"We enjoy the taste of your grass-fed organic ground beef from Good Earth Farm and we've found...
...that we need to use only half-the-amount in the same recipe where we had used regular beef."
- Lasagna --- James said this about the "Lasagna with Tomato Wine Sauce" from the Lunch & Dinner Menu:
"I liked the lasagna so much that I'm taking along another serving to eat for my dessert!"
- Local Food --- Kevin Korpela wrote an essay titled "You are where you eat, so eat where you are":
An essay about eating local food during the "Wisconsin Eat Local Challenge" held September 2007...
...and also read the essay at CitizenWausau.com
- Pickles --- Stephanie expressed her enjoyment about eating our pickles-to-go:
"We drive through Wausau about twice a month and stop specifically at Downtown Grocery...
...to pick-up and enjoy the best pickles that I've ever eaten!"
- Plums --- Kevin Korpela wrote a poem about plums and being true:
Maybe we should try to be three things
Be kind, be sincere, be true
Because you cannot buy these things
Like a plum, a TV or a shoe!
Copyright Kevin Korpela and ObservatoryDrive.com
- Soup --- GiGi said this about our soups:
"All your soups are great...
...but this Portuguese, White Bean and Kale Soup...
...is the best that I've tried so far!"
- Turnips & Hard-boiled Eggs --- Kevin Korpela relates a story about "vegetables and architecture":
An essay about how a turnip and a hard-boiled egg were used by an architect...
...in the 14th Century to explain the design for a new cathederal.
- Vegetables --- Read "stories about vegetables" and their food history and nutrition:
Veggie stories derived from the book titled:
...From Asparagus to Zucchini - a Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce (Third Edition)